Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Güncel Haberler

Pieces of Jennifer's Body

I think the NY Post is rather insane to suggest that Jennifer's Body is going to be the next Heathers. I suspect, though I'm always willing to be wrong, that the edge will feel a little processed. Here's the red band trailer if you're dying to see Megan Fox cuss and devour young boys.



People always forget that Heathers wasn't really riffing on or leapfrogging off of other movies (2007's Teeth beat Jennifer's Body to this satiric punch, I'm guessing). It was just this wonderfully twisted new thing -- it debuted shortly after the John Hughes craze but it didn't feel like a product of, evolutionary step from or satire of. And people also forget that Heathers was largely unanticipated before its release and then thoroughly ignored for awhile. It barely made a million dollars in its theatrical release though I'm proud to report that I contributed my $6 or $7 at that time (or whatever it was they were charging. Today I paid $12.50 to see a movie I didn't really want to see. The cinema is doomed).

My point is this: movies that are trying to be cult movies never feel quite right. Cult movies have to earn it. Showgirls and The Big Lebowski weren't trying to be cult movies. They were just trying to be Showgirls and The Big Lebowski, you know?

But then again this film could be fun. Amanda Seyfried is always a pleasure to look upon. And, at the very least, it's sort of cute (I know they're probably hoping for subversive but I choose my own adjectives) to have Megan Fox turn on the very boys onscreen that she turns on offscreen, if you know what I mean. Plus every couple of years someone has to try and add a new classic "mean girl" to the huge gallery of high school bitches the cinema has offered up over the years, some portrayed more sympathetically than others of course.


One final note. I always assumed this film's title was based on the great Hole tune "Jennifer's Body" but on the soundtrack credit that ends the trailer there's no Hole or Courtney Love mentioned. What gives?

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar

Yorumlar